Ahmedabad is a place where you are open to speak any language, and for communicating you can point and buy stuffs.
Gujarati language is widely spoken in Ahmedabad and Hindi language is perhaps the second most popular language in the city.
Many locals don't speak Hindi perfectly but they manage to communicate in broken Hindi by mixing in Gujarati words into Hindi sentences.
Most locals are not proficient in English... and therefore English speaking classes are popular in the city. Hence, its another language which the locals speak.
Overall, since the local popular newspapers are in English and Gujarati... We can say that these two languages are most spoken.
Obviously Hindi, English & Gujarati Languages are most spoken here among following:
- Kathyawadi (Similar to Gujarati) - is spoken in western part of Gujarat also known as sourashtra region like Bhavnagar, Rajkot, Porbandar, Jamnagar, Junagadh and Kuchcch (kutch).
- Marathi - is spoken in southern area of state. Mostly in Vadodara, Ankleshwar, Bharuch, Surat, Vapi and Valsad.
- Sindhi - Gandhidham and Ahmedabad.
- Rajasthani - A big community of Marwari and other Rajasthani people are settled in Gujarat, Mainly in Ahmedabad and north region of Gujarat.
- Bengali - is spoken in Ahmedabad and nearby areas.
- Many other communities are here in Gujarat in small numbers in urban area such as Punjabi, Malyali, Tamil, Konkani, Telugu, Bhojpuri (Bihari & UP), NE etc.....
Britishers has named Ahmedabad as Manchester of India. Having the extreme high potential and scope for business, Ahmedabad is now one of most favorable places for many business giants. No Gujarati has objection for outsiders and so people are coming here from all other states for career making which makes it cosmopolitan.
As we say "bar gamme boli badlay" ( at every 12 villages the language changes) city dwellers of Ahmedabad has a full respect to that.
Ahmedabad a place where Language is never a barrier and any one from any where in the world can come and stay with ease.....!!!