The Polo Forest Camp site is located in Vijayanagar taluka of Sabarkantha districts and is near to Vanaj Forest area, Harnav River and Damsite.
It is approx 150 km from Ahmedabad, 70 km from Himatnagar and 120 km from Udaipur.
What to do?
Presently at Polo Campsite Nature Education Camps, Wild Life Training and Seminars are organized. People who love Trekking and Hiking should definitely stay at a place like this as it gives you a raw feel that a trekker would always want. The food here can be of your choice but they have only two types of cuisine Gujarati & Rajasthani. The charges to stay at this place are super awesome and will drag you to visit Polo Retreat.
The area is biologically rich in flora and fauna and the dense forests and river side provide an excellent opportunity to experience nature.
The area is surrounded with archeologically important Shiv Temple at Sarneshwar, Sadevant Savlings Deras, Surya Mandir, Lakhena Temple, Jain derasar, the ancient Polo Jain Nagri.
Harnav river, a small perennial stream, rocks & diversified flora and fauna, dense multistoried forests have been attraction to the visitors, tourists, Research scholars, students as well as natural lovers.
When to visit?
Monsoon is the season when maximum travelling should be done.
The 400 square km area of dry mixed deciduous forest is most lush between September and December after the monsoon rains when the rivers are full, but at any time of the year it provides a rich wildlife experience.
What to watch?
There are more than 450 species of medicinal plants, around 275 of birds, 30 of mammals, and 32 of reptiles.
There are bears, panthers, leopards, hyenas, water fowl, raptors, passerines, and flying squirrels (mostly heard, rarely seen), all living under a canopy of diverse plants and trees.
During winter, all manner of migratory birds occupy the forest; during the rainy season there are wetland birds.
Activities to do:
- Trekking on jungle trails alongside the pristine lake and rivulets
- Climbing mountains over 800 meters height.
- Exploring 1500 year old ruins
- Star gazing at night
- Bird watching, morning short walk in the natural greenery
- Herbal outings, river swimming
- Orientation Centre
- Twin sharing rooms with attached bath and toilet facilities
- Tented Accomodations
- Separate Kitchen & Dining places
- Beautifully, Well-Designed Amphitheatre
- Separate area for Campfire
- Machaans for landscape & wildlife viewing
- Beautiful Nature Trail
Points to remember:
- Campsites use electricity which is generated by using solar energy, hence please use it responsibly.
- Do not disturbs the animals during day time as most of the nocturnal animals sleep during day time.
- Do not tries to irritate the animals or make them angry by teasing them.
- Camping and picnicking is not allowed within the park.
- No smoking
- No flash or intrusive photography
- Do not carries any music system or sound making device along with you and remember to keep them switched off if you are driving around.
- Picking plants or insects is prohibited in any area; do not remove anything from the parks or sanctuaries.
- Do not indulges in any quick or sudden movements to scare off wildlife.
- Do not try going too close to the animals.
- No pets should accompany you.
- Don’t forget to carry some water and eatables ‘cause there is not much available after Idar.
For Polo Forest Campsite:
Himmatnagar Forest Department.
Contact Number 1: 02772243090
Contact Number 2: 02772247279
For a Homestay Option:
Polo Forests area now has one homestay option as well. You can stay at local’s house, equipped with all amenities, comforts and delicious desi local food can be enjoyed.
Call/message on +91 94295 64808 for pricing, bookings and more details.
Some Resorts and Hotel:
Ambika Exotica Resort
Forest Rest House Vanaj
So.........what are you waiting for??? Enjoy your holidays and weekends at polo forest with your friends and family........